The Book Worm

 


Books and I have a strong relationship since my early childhood. My parents and the neighbours used to tell me that I used to read books aloud even before I could read letters. For me to perform that miracle, they had to read the same book to me hundred times until I was able to memorise each and every word in every page. So it is fair to say I am a book worm from my birth up to now and I can't imagine a life without them. My parents were very encouraging so it was very easy for me to explore new horizons through books.

My father, who was a librarian by profession, used to take me to his work place, Colombo Public Library, whenever he could. I still remember going to the children's section there following the yellow strip on the floor. Because of him I got the privilege to experience that library and get fascinated by those books. This experience made me love books very much. 

My father not only took me to the library, but helped me select books to read. He actually introduced books and authors to me according to my age. He was the one who introduced me to the 'Little House Series by Laura Ingles Wilder' (Translated by Ganga Niroshini Suduwelikanda) as well as the 'Pichchamala book series by Jayasena Jayakodi'. When he got transferred to our regional library I was able to read a huge set of books like the 'Sherlock Holmes series', 'The Tarzan book series' etc. 

We used to talk about the books we read, how we felt about them and also about new books being awarded every year. I had learnt a lot through those conversations even though I did not realise it then. But I remember how much I loved those conversations at home and how much I miss them since my parents are no longer with me. It was such a pleasure to discuss various topics with them and get to know their insights.

 Not only those days but still I get fascinated by translated books. Those days I did not read English books at all but that was not a problem because of the good translations available. Those translations were so good that I never felt that I am reading a translation. Even now I prefer to read in Sinhala but now used to read books in both Sinhala and English because now I know it is impossible to translate all the books in English language to Sinhala.

I can still recall the way I felt when I read a book. I couldn't have my meals without a book in my hand. (Ofcourse now I don't read a book during meals because it is impossible now). For every special occasion (Christmas, new year birthday etc..) I wanted a book. Visiting the Colombo International Book fair with my mother became a tradition in my life. Those books I collected for the past years now had become a mini library treasured by me more than my own life. I feel proud of myself when I look into those books because they represent my whole life which grows along with time. 

So I am a book worm and will be so for the rest of my life because they give me everything in my life to be proud of myself.

                               
 A stall from The Colombo International Book Fair


           The Public Library Colombo

No comments:

Post a Comment

You vs. You

Nobody understands your pains. Nobody understands your anxieties. Nobody understands what you are going through.  They all live in their own...